Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Ruffle Scarf

It is FALL here in Tennessee, and I L.O.V.E. Fall!  I also L.O.V.E. scarves.  Today I am going to show you how I made my first gathered scarf.  I have only been sewing for a few months now, so when I finally figured out how to "gather" I knew this would be on the top of my list!  I do have a lot of pictures, so bear with me.  K? ;)

First you will want to find a knit material.  I chose to use the baby blue knit that I had left over from this project a few weeks ago.  My piece measures 17 inches wide, and 59 inches long.  Here is what I started with....

I then set my sewing machine on the longest possible single stitch it has....

Decide where you would like your "gathers" to be and sew a straight line down the length of your material.  I wanted there to be two gather lines, but you could do many more if you would like.  It is your scarf, after all. {Be sure NOT to back stitch at the beginning or end of these first stitches}

In the picture above you will see my two stitches.  In the picture below you will see where I started pulling on the BOTTOM stitch string to "gather" my material.  You are able to push it as close or far apart as you would like.  Just be careful not to break your string.

I went half way in on one side, and then moved to the other side for the other half.

This is what it will look like when you are finished "gathering" your material.  Now you will want to move your sewer stitch back down to the normal stitch length, and resew your lines WITH a back stitch on both ends.  This will hold your "gathers".  {Do NOT cut your strings just yet.  Let's finish the ends before doing that!}

For the last step you will want to finish off each end of your scarf.  You can do this by folding a half inch over twice and then sew down the length of the side, back stitching on both ends.  Once this is completed, it is now safe to trim all of your strings.

Viola!  You are done, and you have yourself a gathered scarf for the Fall!!

Here is mine, I wore it today!  I love it, and I hope you will too.

I hope you all have a fabulous day!

I like to party it up here!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christy, I love your scarf. What a clever idea. I have seen them like that in the stores but would never have attempted to sew one. I have knitted many for my craft shows. Good for you. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

I {Heart} Commenting Cuties!